Thursday 2 October 2014

Whatever It Takes ~ Disruption by Jessica Shirvington Review

Disruption (Disruption #1) 
By Jessica Shirvington

Rating: 4.9


'"Ditch the driver and meet me back here at nine and..." I gave him a look up and down, settling on his shoes."...wear appropriate shoes.

"What are appropriate shoes?" he asked, standing. 

"Shoes you can run for your life in," Gus answered helpfully. Then added, unnecessarily, "Welcome to the Maggie-verse."'

 
This book is totally badass in every way possible.

Spotting the book on the library shelf, I feel in love with its shiny gold cover (plus Jessica Shirvington is an amazing author, so it was an instant pick). People will always tell you, 'Never judge a book by its cover.'

Well, judging from Disruption's cover, it was going to be an incredible read. And the story most definitely lived up to its beautiful cover. It was incredibly engaging from the first few pages and I couldn't put it down.

So if you're a fan of the TV show Revenge you'll love this book.

I was trying to pinpoint what this book reminded me of, and I finally realized it whilst typing this review up - Revenge. Girl's dad is involved with some dealings that then get him taken away from his daughter, who swears that she'll get her revenge (or in this case find her father) no matter what it takes...yeah, there are a lot of similarities between the two.

However Disruption comes out on top by a mile, with its unique concepts, technology, kickass fighting demonstrations, and cliffhanger. Actually, I reckon Disruption should have its own TV series...actually, make that a movie. A big blockbuster film with a great soundtrack & a dreamy actor who plays Quentin ;)

Hey, a girl can dream!

Ah the web we weave when we begin to deceive!

Never did the above saying make more sense than in this book. A major theme in Disruption is guilt. Guilt is our female protagonist Maggie's constant companion.

And the more guilt she feels, the more lies she uses to cover it up, aaaaaaand so the vicious cycle continues!

One thing that did confuse me in this book. Maybe I missed a part where it was explained to the reader, but...where are the rest of the world, exactly? 'Cause all I'm reading is 'United States of America', 'USA Individual Identification Act', etc, etc etc.

Did England get wiped out? Is the USA separated from the world by a big shield? Does everyone else have these M-Bands, courtesy of the USA?

To sum up, I have no why - if the USA are the only ones using these M-Band - no other country has stepped up saying, "Uh...these are a bad idea, guys. Like...really bad."

No one? No UN meeting to discuss the ethical controversies surrounding these M-Bands? Everyone's just ok with the government monitoring everything about us and turning us into pheromone-crazed tech-heads?

The future looks grim indeed. 

If someone you loved was in danger, how far would you go to save them? Find out how far Maggie is willing to go by grabbing yourself a copy of Disruption today!

'"To do what you're doing, to risk everything the way you are. He must be an amazing man. He's lucky to have you."
(...) I shook my head sharply. "I've done nothing to help him."
"But you will won't you?"
"Whatever it takes."

He nodded, as if we were pleased with my response. "I have no doubt."

Good to hear, I suppose. Considering he was the 'whatever' it was going to take.
'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...