Saturday 23 April 2016

Water's Wrath by Elise Kova ~ ARC Review


When my ARC of Water's Wrath arrived I could barely contain my excitement.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c0f71ab60f05ebe08703362704dda768/tumblr_inline_o4uomgDQiR1qahfs6_500.gif

It was sitting there in all its blue glory, looking too good to be true, and I couldn't help but happy dance! 
Not to mention it had the best surprise ever on the inside:


'The brighter the illusion, the darker the lie.' ~ Elise Kova

Water's Wrath is the highly-anticipated fourth book in Elise Kova's YA fantasy romance Air Awakens series

This post includes my review of the book + an awesome giveaway hosted by Elise Kova. It's not your typical giveaway so be sure to check it out!

Also, to see my picks for an Air Awakens series dream cast, click here.






Librarian turned sorcerer. Sorcerer turned hero. Hero turned puppet.

The Solaris Empire found victory in the North and, at the cost of her heart and her innocence, Vhalla Yarl has earned her freedom. 


But the true fight is only beginning as the secret forces that have been lurking in the shadows, tugging at the strings of Vhalla’s fate, finally come to light. 


Nowhere is safe, and Vhalla must tread carefully or else she’ll fall into the waiting arms of her greatest foe. Or former lover. 

Add to your Goodreads bookshelf today!







Rating





Where do I start?! There is so much about this book's cover that draws the eye and ignites the imagination. 

https://38.media.tumblr.com/396fadec7653ddd38a15e068ae1f35ac/tumblr_inline_o5crx72Onp1tqgb96_500.gif

Just like all the other covers in the series, this one features another art piece that is visually stunning. Not only does it look good, but it ties in perfectly with the book and its characters.

This is the full cover art by merilliza. Isn't it just EVERYTHING?! I can't stop gawking at the details. To see the full, larger version of the original artwork click here.

The first part of the cover to grab my attention were the two characters. Both gave me feels for days - they look so lifelike.

The untamed waviness of Vhalla's hair made me want to cry (it was just that perfect), plus there is something so magical about the light blue highlights used throughout the piece. And did I mention how much I want a wardrobe filled with clothes like they're wearing? Because I do!

*stares at them for hours wishing I was artsy and talented*

Of course, I can't forget the title. As I've mentioned before on my blog, I am a lover of all things to do with pretty fonts and this one is no exception!

It's pretty + features alliteration so it's basically book title goals!






Elise Kova has a way of spiriting you away!

I've only read a handful of books that I can say - without a doubt - have sent me head-first down a rabbit-hole and into the world the author has created. These books have given me a beautiful balance of world building, backstory and lore, vivid imagery, evolving and unpredictable characters, a flowing plot, and something or someone to root for.

Water's Wrath has all of these things.

Vhalla, our heroine, is every reader's dream. She's perfect in her imperfection, strong in her weakest moments, and full of love even with a broken, battered heart.

http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/139307-To-Me-You-Are-Perfect.gif

This book was what is was because of Vhalla (and because of the sheer amount of strength, resourcefulness, and badassery Elise Kova infused her with!). If any of you readers out there ever go through a bad breakup you might want to take a leaf or two out of Vhalla's book and face each day with the attitude of a warrior queen.

https://requiredreads.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/a4d11-tumblr_mopbb4hbgy1r8t03jo1_500_zps947b4920.gif

Another great part of Water's Wrath was ALDRIK OMG THERE'S ALDRIK!

...

...

*clears throat*

*tries to stop myself from grinning insanely and squealing like a fangirl*

*fails*

Okay...so I may or may not have a huge crush on Aldrik. Which may or may not have grown even stronger after I read this book. Which may or may not have led me to bookmark every mention of him in my ARC so I could revisit them at my convenience!

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2014-03/enhanced/webdr06/3/10/anigif_enhanced-8226-1393861809-8.gif

All crushing and fangirling aside, Aldrik is a total boss in this book. And not because he's his usual 'please don't talk to me lowly peasant' brooding self...

https://45.media.tumblr.com/2dccc596b802c653a104cf9c8dfd3f88/tumblr_nevvrxDnOH1szlo84o1_500.gif

...but because he finally - FINALLY - gives us and Vhalla a true look beneath his often stoic exterior and at the emotionally scarred man inside. A man that has fears, wants, dreams. A man who carries the weight of the world not because he wants to, but because he's trying to stop it from falling on the shoulders of the people he loves. 

Water's Wrath took everything to the next level.

You thought the other books in the series had complex and thrilling plots?
Water's Wrath did it better!

You thought you connected with Vhalla in previous books?
Water's Wrath did it better (prepare to become soul sisters!)

Thought Elise Kova tore out your heart before?
Water's Wrath did it better (welcome to the land of crying and pain!)

Thought beyond a doubt that Aldrik couldn't get any hotter?
You were so, so wrong. If Aldrik were a Pokémon he would have just mega-evolved!

You thought the last book left you wanting more?
Water's Wrath did it better (and you will be dying for the release of Crystal Crowned!)

http://49.media.tumblr.com/45350c2d7b6ce9e5571b470884b7f6f1/tumblr_nhsimxYGvn1tk1ch1o1_500.gif


I adored this book from start to finish.

A massive thank you to the lovely Elise Kova for a chance to have read and reviewed what was probably one of the best reads of the year so far!





I love listening to music whilst reading and reviewing! Here are my top picks for Water's Wrath...


Castle // Halsey
(Basically my chosen theme music for whenever Vhalla is being badass!)



Edith's Theme // Fernando Velázquez
(For Aldrik and Vhalla <3)






(Trying to pick just one quote was a heartbreak waiting to happen...so I picked two!)


"Don't go. Don't go..."

http://soocurious.com/fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/25-faits-scientifiques-sur-les-relations-qui-vous-redonneront-foi-en-lamour19.gif
This was the quote that stabbed me in the heart with a knife of feels!


'She'd tried to make a deal with devils, but she'd forgot that devils lie.'

http://img.allw.mn/content/dg/no/xrwrukuu568d33b83558b910322996.gif









Elise Kova has always had a passion for storytelling.

She wrote her first novella, a high-fantasy, in sixth grade. Over the years she’s honed her love of literature with everything from fantasy to romance, science fiction to mystery, and whatever else catches her eye.


Elise lives in Saint Petersburg, Florida, where she’s currently working on the next installment in her debut YA fantasy series: Air Awakens. She enjoys video games, anime, table-top role playing games, and many other forms of “geekdom.” She loves talking with fans on Twitter (@EliseKova) and Facebook.


Connect with Elise via her:
Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr | Facebook | Goodreads





Already finished Water's Wrath? 
Want to find out what happens next? 
Pre-order your copy of Crystal Crowned - the final book in the series!











Although I was provided with a review copy by the author and/or publisher, all opinions expressed in the this post are purely my own. To find out more, please visit my disclaimer page.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...