Monday 30 May 2016

Music Monday ~ The Problem with Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Hosted by: Total Book Geek

It's Music Monday! Which means it's that time again where I pick a book & pair it with some winning tunes. Because every book and its characters deserve a soundtrack!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6rr57dKOY1rqw892.gif

This Monday's pick is The Problem with Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout.

The Problem with Forever is a YA contemporary romance novel that deals with the scars left by the past and the healing brought by the present. 



I am a fan of anything written by Jennifer L. Armentrout to be honest - and this book was no exception! It had me hooked from the very first chapter. Mallory and Rider stole my bookworm heart whilst making me laugh and cry simultaneously! and brought me a cathartic tale that will stay with me for a long, long time.

So today I will be sharing a few of the songs from the playlist I've put together for this fantastic book. Let's get started!


http://www.sharegif.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Anna-Kendrick2.gif





 That Could Still Be Us by Keith Urban

I won't lie...there were many times that this book made me cry! But Chapter 37 had me longing for a song that put into words the emotional turmoil going through Mallory (and Rider too) during that particularly difficult phase of their relationship.

I think That Could Still Be Us does this perfectly. It talks about how neither person has to be alone but both sides are too hurt, too proud, to give in. But above all it talks about the kind of love and longing that never goes away - the kind that Mallory and Rider have.

Wide awake staring at my phone
Who's gonna give in first?
We don't have to be all alone
We don't have to feel this hurt
‘Member those nights in your driveway
Feeling like the only ones left on earth.






Scars by Tove Lo

Rider and Mallory have a difficult and dark shared past that has led to lots of scars, especially emotional ones, for both of them. But The Problem with Forever isn't about clinging to the past, it's about accepting it, learning from it, and moving on from it.

Scars is a celebration of survival and I feel like it's the perfect anthem for these two brave protagonists.

Know they're cutting you deep
Feel the scars in your sleep
What didn't kill us made us stronger
Stories left on our skin
Wear them with everything
What didn't kill us made us stronger






Bird Set Free by Sia

Mallory uses silence as a weapon. Having had it forced upon her in the past it's become a reflex, her comfort zone. But it's not her only weapon, as she proves many times during The Problem with Forever. She may not speak often, but when she does it's with purpose. It's with passion.

This song for me is specifically for Mallory's speech in Chapter 38. Not only do the contents of her speech shine, but it's a triumphant moment for Mallory as she overcomes her fears and fights for what - and who - she wants.

Clipped wings, I was a broken thing
Had a voice, had a voice but I could not sing
You would wind me down
I struggled on the ground
So lost, the line had been crossed
Had a voice, had a voice but I could not talk
You held me down
I struggle to fly now.







Do you think these songs fit The Problem with Forever ? Do you have any songs to add to the playlist? Which book would like me to feature on Music Monday next?

Let me know in the comments below!





For some people, silence is a weapon. For Mallory “Mouse” Dodge, it’s a shield. Growing up, she learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. And even though it’s been four years since her nightmare ended, she’s beginning to worry that the fear that holds her back will last a lifetime.

Now, after years of homeschooling with loving adoptive parents, Mallory must face a new milestone—spending her senior year at public high school. But of all the terrifying and exhilarating scenarios she’s imagined, there’s one she never dreamed of—that she’d run into Rider Stark, the friend and protector she hasn’t seen since childhood, on her very first day.

It doesn’t take long for Mallory to realize that the connection she shared with Rider never really faded. Yet the deeper their bond grows, the more it becomes apparent that she’s not the only one grappling with the lingering scars from the past. And as she watches Rider’s life spiral out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out—for the people she loves, the life she wants, and the truths that need to be heard. 

Add to your Goodreads bookshelf today!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...