Monday 1 February 2016

Enchanting Editions ~ The Classic Fairy Tale Treasury by Armand Eisen


I am thrilled to be introducing a new tag on my blog: Enchanting Editions!

Enchanting Editions will be covering some of the treasured and special books that have a home on my bookshelves - books which stand out, either due to their outsides or their insides.

Today's featured book is The Classic Fairy Tale Treasury by Armand Eisen.

I've had this beauty ever since I was around 5 years old and the years have been nothing but kind to it. Decked inside and out with breathtaking illustrations, The Classic Fairy Tale Treasury is a certainly book worth staring at!



The front (see images above) is overflowing with a myriad of detailed fairytale characters. As a child and I freely admit also as an adult! I wanted the fairy's dress so bad! The GOLD! The LACY DETAILS! Not to mention her hair is total perfection #SheWokeUpLikeThis.


The back cover of the book (see above image) is also a thing of beauty. I still get ALL THE FEELS looking at the Beast covertly watching Belle walk past in her majestic cape. Shout out to the green and gold highlights on that tree, because trees are beautiful too and this particular tree is a stunner!

But wait...I haven't even gotten to the best part.

THE BOOK HAS GOLD PAGE EDGES. Yep, you read correctly - each page is edged in gold, meaning that when closed, the sides of the book shine with an unearthly light.


I tried my best to take a picture that did the gold edges justice (see my pathetic attempt above) - the edges are also silky smooth to the touch which is a totally weird thing to say but forgive me I'm a bookworm!.

Enough about the outside though - let's get to the good stuff!

The inside is filled with classic fairytales, Aesop's Fables and nursery rhymes. Every few pages features an illustration to cherish and stare at for hours. Here are a few of my faves:

From Beauty and the Beast.

From Thumbelina.

Index page illustration of Cinderella.

From Rumpelstiltskin.




Which was your favourite illustration from the treasury? Do you have a book you treasure on your shelf?

Let me know in the comments below!


6 comments:

  1. Woah... this book is so beautiful!! This seems like a perfect gift, because it's definitely one you'll keep forever. I love how the edges are gold, too! Coloured edges are the absolute best.

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coloured edges on books are always a treat, I agree! I once saw a book whose coloured edges actually created an image when the book was closed which was AWESOME - it's little details like this that can make a book extra special :D

      Delete
    2. I love this. I am a huge sucker for children's book illustrations. Wonderful post. :)

      Delete
    3. Illustrations in children's books are always magical to behold! Thank you for dropping by!! *hugs*

      Delete
  2. So this book was a major part of my childhood. My brother and I would stay up late, read and be amazed by the marvelous illustrations all night long. Unfortunately, in between moving countries, the book got damaged. We still have the remnants all taped up and what not. After a big family fight, now I'm gifting my brother this book from our childhood as I'm hoping it will heal all the wounds. I love my brother and this book so much. We would sit and draw the characters and the scenery from the book and it was the best way to bond with him. I'm so happy other people have good nostalgic memories in terms of this book too. Thank you.
    S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story! My own edition of the book had to actually be rebound because my sister damaged the spine when we were kids lol. I have so many memories of sitting with the book and marvelling over the illustrations too. I hope it succeeds in bringing you two closer together! <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...